The Discovery Centre at Fort Henry, which is our awards dinner venue, is also accessible. The tour of Fort Henry is also fully accessible.
The “Walking” group led by Natalie Rewa, Jenn Cole, and Keren Zaiontz is accessible – sidewalks and public pathways etc.
Basically, everything is fully accessible except for the following things:
- The Haunted Walk is accessible – sidewalks and such. They do tell me however that there are some “tricky curbs” which can be managed with a bit of assistance.
- The trolleys to the Fort can be accessible. If the wheelchair accessible trolley is needed, we can request it. Contact Jenn Stephenson directly and she will make the necessary arrangements.
- The bar for the Welcome pub event is not accessible from the main door. There is a back door however which can be accessed if needed.
- One of the scheduled performances – Cellar Door Theatre’s New and Used – is in a storefront which is not accessible. The artists for this project have made an audio recording of the show which they are happy to share upon request.
- Access Copies: Presenters should plan to bring three copies of their papers, even in draft form, for the use of attendees who wish to follow the written text. Presenters who use handouts should prepare some copies in a large-print format (Sans-serif font, 16-point type size). Presenters should indicate whether they want their papers and handouts returned.
- When speaking, position your face at an angle that allows participants to read your lips. Avoid speaking while facing away from the audience, or while looking down at papers or screens.
- Please say your name before asking a question.
- Please describe any power points or visuals.
- If you are planning on showing video during your presentation, please plan on captioning/subtitling your video or having transcripts available.
- If engaging in experiential activities make sure you have planned for the inclusion of all, regardless of physical abilities.
- Consider making it possible for attendees to obtain an electronic version of any text that allows for type size adjustments or use of text readers (creating audio from written text).
- Please allow for understanding for anyone who may need to leave a space for a calmer environment during conference events.
- Please allow for a smell-free environment, and refrain from wearing perfume or cologne.
Our goal of an accessible environment is a process and so we encourage dialogue within the community and welcome feedback and questions. Not one accommodation is suitable for every person, and the only solution is to consistently commit to conversations and creativity in every aspect of our organization.